Friday, March 4, 2011

Where the wild things are



ISBN 978-0-06-443178-1

Story Description:

The story “Where the Wild Things Are” by Maurice Sendak (1963) is about a young boy named Max with a wild imagination. While dressed up in a wolf costume, Max was misbehaving at the dinner table and consequently his mother sent him to his room without him eating any of his supper. A little angry, Max drifted into his own imaginative world to the land of the wild things (Sendak, 1963).  Although the wild things appeared to have terrible claws, terrible teeth, and terrible eyes (Sendak, 1963), Max was not afraid of them. Max soon became the King of the wild things and demanded they have a wild rumpus (Sendak, 1963). The rumpus soon came to a halt when Max sent “all the wild things off to bed without their supper” (1963, pg. 29). Max began to feel lonely and hungry which resulted in his decision to leave the land of the Wild Things (Sendak, 1963), and he made his journey back to his bedroom, “where he found his supper waiting for him.” (pg. 35)
Why is this book suitable for 3-5 year olds?

This book is particularly appealing to children ages 3-5, not only through the eye catching illustrations and simplicity of the words, but through the stage in Max’s life he has been going through. Max and his mother have a conflict of interest, which repels Max to sail away into a land where he himself can be in charge.  This story shows how parents and children may get angry with one another, and they have their own ways of dealing with it. Max’s mother sent him to his bedroom, and Max created his own world to escape from his angry state. In the end, Max realizes that his mother does love him, and snaps out of his imaginative world back to reality.

Illustrations:

The illustrations in this story are creative and fun to look at. I enjoy how the colors are not bright and florescent, but they still have an interesting approach to catch the eye. This could be because we have not seen many children’s books drawn in this way. I especially like how the illustrations not only appeal to children, but to adults as well. The illustrations have very little changed from when the book was first published in 1963, which creates a sense of comfort to all readers, no matter what age they are.  Children would enjoy the illustrations because there are goofy looking monsters that are not threatening to look at. They enhance imagination and magic that the children can relate to and explore with. Lastly, the illustrations along with the story line subtly insinuate that you can be friends with things and people that are different then what you are.


Provocation:

A provocation I would use for this story is I would scan and blow up the pictures form pages six, eight, and ten, print and post them on a wall of the centre in which I am working. I would not post them all on the same day, I would first post the illustration from page 6 and leave it up all day Monday. I would choose the beginning of the week to begin the provocation process so that we can continue to wonder these illustrations without being interrupted with a weekend. During circle time, I would bring the photo up for discussion, prompting the children ask questions about the picture. I would ask them what they wonder? How do they think the boy in the photo is feeling? Where is the boy in the photo? Why do you think he feels that way? The following day, I would post the illustration from page 8 next to the illustration from page 6.  Again, during circle time I would bring the photos up for discussion. I would ask the children what do they wonder? What is happening that is different from yesterday’s picture? How does the boy in the photo look now? What do you think he is feeling? By Wednesday I would have done the same thing with the illustration on page 10, leaving a captivating story sequence. By now, the children have had a chance to wonder about the sequence of illustrations and will have many questions to ask. I chose this specific sequence of photos because it shows the escape from anger Max is having in the story. The picture on page 6 is immediately after Max was sent to his room without any supper. The picture from page 8 is the beginning of the forest growing in his room; Max’s face looks sneaky and pleased. The last photo Max’s room has completely transformed into a forest, and Max begins his journey to visit the Wild Things (Sendak, 1963). The children are at an age where behaviour can become a challenge. This story portrays an excellent example of how a child can deal with their anger.

One Story Four Ways:

1.     Once I have finished my provocations, it would now be time to present the story to the children. One way I will present this story to the children is using a felt story. I can purchase a felt story from 3H crafts in Vancouver for $21.95. The felt story includes Max in three different expressive body positions, all the monsters illustrated in the book, a bed, an ocean, a boat, some trees, and a table with dinner on it. 3H crafts also provide detailed instructions on when to place the pieces on the felt board, along with the story line to read. Using a felt story for this book is a very appealing way to present this story; it creates elements of wonder when she children are waiting for the next piece to be placed on the board.

2.     A story vine is also an easy and inexpensive way to engage the children to the story. First, I will take the story to Staples and get every illustration in the story printed, laminated and slightly blown up so that the pictures are easily visible to the children and very durable. I will then use a long string or clothes line and attach each end to secure objects in the classroom (i.e. table, desk). Clothespins will be used to pin the pictures onto the clothes line while I read through the story. I will also create a detailed instruction sheet to prompt me when to place the pictures onto the clothes line, this instruction sheet will also have the story written on it in case I stumble or forget.

3.     Another way I will present this story is by creating a prop box. I will use a durable storage box and fill it with specific things from the story. As I tell the story I will pull out the pieces from the box. These pieces will include a small doll (to represent Max), a toy wolf (to represent Max in his wolf costume), a dolls bed and a small table with a dinner on it. As I present the prop box story to the children, I will have a detailed story sheet to prompt me when to take out the materials from the box. In the story, when Max’s room begins to turn into a forest, I will place collected plants from outside to transform the scene into a forest. I will also create little monster characters from arts and crafts materials to represent the Wild Things (Sendak, 1963) in the book. Using this prop box will create excitement and wonderment for the children.

4.     The fourth way I will present this story will be telling the story from a monsters point of view. I will make a hand puppet that resembles one of the monsters from the story, and I will re-create the story as if the Monster was telling it. This way, the children will be able to hear examples of different perspectives and will be privileged to hear the monster’s ending to the story. The puppet will be made from a simple design we were given in our curriculum class.

Three Extensions:

            One extension I will use from this story is to have every student draw and create a monster. This is a simple way to get the children creating and imagining their own characters. We would use all different types of art material, and the children will have complete freedom to express their ideas on paper.
            A second extension I will use from this story is a discussion on anger and how we all handle it. I would simply ask the children at circle time “how do you react when you are angry?” Hopefully, this will spark up conversation on ways to deal with their anger, and I can use Max’s escape to the Wild Things (Sendak, 1963) as an example.
            Thirdly, the children and I will hold our own wild rumpus (Sendak, 1963) in the centre. I would put on a music piece that resembles a wild setting when it is played. The children and I could play freeze dance, and act like monsters until the music periodically stops. This is a great movement activity for the children, and also allows them to use their imagination.


No comments:

Post a Comment