Saturday, March 31, 2012

Silly Sally


Wood,  A. (1992). Silly Sally. New York: Red Wagon Books. Harcourt Brace & Company

1.     ISBN #: 0-15-201990-1

2.     A paragraph describing the book content. (This paragraph is to be in your own words and not simply taken off a bookstore site.)

Silly Sally walked backwards and upside down when she was on her way to town.
Along the way, she met many different, but silly animals - a pig, a dog, a loon, and a sheep.
They marched towards town in a most unusual way. Sally danced a jig with the pig, and then Sally and the pig played leapfrog with the dog.  Next, Sally, the pig and the dog were singing a tune when they met the loon. At last, when they met the sheep, Sally and her companions fell asleep with the sheep. Neddy Buttercup, a man who wore an unusual green costume, came walking forward, and right side up! He tickled Sally and her friends to wake them up. What happened when Sally tickled Neddy Buttercup? Everyone giggled, and they all stood up.  Finally all her friends including Neddy Buttercup went into town walking backwards and upside town. What about the people inside the town? They too walked backwards and upside down.


3.     A few sentences describing why would you use it for three to five-year olds?

It contains only one sentence on each page, the simple phrases and rhyming words are repeating throughout the book changing characters and movement words. Short sentence structure allowed for children to learn to literacy skills itself. The vocabulary in this book is extremely simple to understand and playful for ages three to five children. I think some words like “leapfrog” and “tune” that children probably would not be familiar with. However the rhyming of words provides us to build phonemic awareness. The rhyming words is represented a action word “pig” and “jig”, “dog” and “leapfrog”, “loon” and  “tune”, “sheep” and “asleep”.

4.     A comment on the illustrations should also be included. Example: How are the illustrations made? What medium was used?

The illustrations are full of bright and mild colour. The background colour is primarily       yellowish on water colour basic. The yellow colour provides a warm and happy feeling when I read this story.
I thought Silly Sally was a fun little story with great full pictures to look at throughout. Wood gave each characeter their own white page when introduced to the story. They also had their own little rhyme to bring out their own feature. I also enjoyed all the bright colors that were in then this story that helped show the main characters own vibrant personality.

I liked this story personally because it was silly and quirky its own way. The pictures were fun to look at too. I like the Dr. Seuss vibe of simple rhymes for kids to follow along with. The one thing I really liked a lot with this story is what a fun read aloud in your classroom it could be. The class could act out what each character did in the(less)
The illustrator gave each animal character their own white page, it helped us to show the variety of characters own vibrant personality. When I saw each character, I was curious how Audrey Wood described silly dog and silly loon. If I draw a silly animal, how can I represent silliness?
 What mood do they evoke? Why would the children enjoy them? Why were you drawn to them?
Reading this book makes me silly and happy. From the beginning, I try to remember the first feeling of upside down. It was a unique experience. Children love to explore new things and they enjoy what they found. They might repeat upside down over and over again.

Silly Sally also included a provocation showing a little hidden hint. We can expect what animal comes next during Sally went to town. I think that these kinds of predictable book make children to keep focus on the story and encourage their wonderings.

5.     How would you build background knowledge or provoke interest for the children in the book before you present it? What provocations would you use? How would you go about using the provocations?

1)     Hang a picture upside down or put a book upside down on a shelf.
Children might ask a teacher put the picture or the book right side up. They may notice upside down is unusual way.  Ask them what can you see when the picture is upside down.
Children might see other things- they might focus on background or might find more details.

2)     In an activity time, I tickle children’s feet and hand.
Ask feeling or ask “Is it delight or bothering? “

3)     Ask what silly means?
During the playing time, I can ask a child to make a funny face or a funny gesture.


1)     Read  the story

What I need :
a.     I will wear a white apron and purple dress 
How to present :
a.     Before turn the first page, I might ask “What is difference from other book?”,
“Do I grab the book a wrong way?”, “Do I read this book upside down?” ,“Is sally flying or jumping”,
b.     Showing the first page, I will ask “How can Sally walk “,” I wonder how she can stand with hands “.And then I will ask “what animal can you see?”, “can you find them? Because there are a hidden little details in the first page. If children cannot notice the hidden animals, I would ask and encourage children to be drawn into deeply and carefully.
c.     On the second page, I can say “I wonder what the pig is doing”,” Does this pig look happy or not”. The third page I will ask again “Does this dog want to play or sleep”. Each page also has a little hint what comes next in the story.
d.     Keep asking what each animal look like.
e.     When they fell asleep, I will chunk and ask how they get to town.
f.      When Neddy Buttercup came, I will ask how he walk-backward upside down or forward right side up.
g.     Before the last page, I will say “How Sally and her friends get to town walking backwards upside down or walking forwards right side up?”

2)     Puppet Theatre

What I need:
a.     Theatre stand, made with a kind of boots box (it is twice bigger than regular shoes box) or a three- side presentation board.
b.     Get rid of its lid and put the background same as the first page of  the book ( I can get a background paper from Google’s image search but  I prefer paint by myself))
c.     Put a piece of green fabric on the top on the box, and put a piece of yellow fabric as a curtain each side of box.
d.     Each character made with felt (I will buy www.theteacherexpress.com) and put long and thick Coke straws which can bend but strong enough in as the puppets. (I need two Neddy Buttercups. One is right side up and other is upside down)
How to present :
a. follow the story.
b. I will use a right side Neddy Buttercup when he came. And then I will use upside       down   Neddy Buttercup with others while they walking through the town.

3)     Story with movement.

What I need :
a.  Song CD or cassette tape(I have a cassette tape),
b. Player cassette

How to present :
a. I am sure that children love to sing this song and want to do movements over and over.
b. When children are introducing Silly sally twice, I will go the gym and do a movement with the song
c. I will keep try to be familiar with the song and movement.
d. I will keep practice a movement and action though the internet.


4)     Story line

   What I need
a.     Print the pictures of each characters from Wood ‘s web site (http://www.audreywood.com/books-written-by-audrey-wood/silly-sally/silly-sally-activities)
b.     Colour them (I prefer to paint with water colour because, this book is illustrated with water colour.
c.     Put laminated them. 
d.     Make two holes up and down each character.
e.     I need two thick yawns- one goes up and the other does down.
               
  How to present
a.     I need two volunteers to hold the yawn. 
b.     As I tell the story, I will put two yawn through the hole both side(one yawn goes up holes and the other goes down)
c.     Ask them “I wonder who is coming next?” I think children can know which animal comes next as they have heard the story a few times.
d.     When Neddy Buttercup came and ticked, two volunteers switch the yawn (under yawn goes up and up yawn goes down). Now all animals and sally walk right side up.
e.      Sally and all her friends got to town walking backwards upside down, two children switch yawn again.

1)    Extension 1 :
a.     I will ask supervisor or owner to have a “Silly Day” like a pyjama day.
b.     To celebrate Silly Day, I will turn some pictures upside down.
c.     When children come in the class, I will ask do children a few unexpected wacky things.  For example, Art is under the table or sit beside a chair.
d.      I also can say draw a picture with other hand. If a child is a left-handed, try to draw right hand and a right handed person can use left hand.
e.     Or I might ask children wear a shoes other side. It might be unique feeling and they will enjoy it.

2)     Extension 2 :
a.     Make a bulletin board named Silly Board.
b.      Bring a camera and take a children’ silly face or funny face as much they can make. It will be a delight moment for them.
c.     Put the silly and funny face pictures on the board.

3)   Extension 3 :
a.     In the yoga class or in the free activity time (if the child care does not have a yoga class), try to stand up side down.
b.     The younger children might need help or they bend their waist and head down.
c.     Ask what they can see.
d.     Encourage them to tell the difference when their head down, how about their hair? And what  the feeling is.


No comments:

Post a Comment