Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Very Hungry Bear

Hungry Bear on PhotoPeach


Bland, N. (2012). The very
hungry bear. Australia:
Scholastic. 
ISBN # 978-1-4431-1906-1

The author Nick Bland has a variety of personalities for this very famous bear. In this
story, Bear starts off extremely grumpy because
of how hungry he is. With no signs of any fish all morning, he suddenly felt a huge
tug on his fishing rod, but what he had discovered he caught was no fish at all, it was
a polar bear! The Polar Bear offers him the entire pile of fish he had caught if Bear
can help him find a place to stay because his iceberg was melting. Bear and Polar
Bear set off into the woods and began searching. Through their journey they come
across some helpful animals, but their homes just weren’t right! As they continue
their search they came across a mean ol’ crock that ends up eating almost all of
Bears fish! As the day turns to night they eventually make it up the big hill of snow,
where they build him a home. Bear leaves Polar Bear his last fish as a house
warming gift; as Bear goes back to his cave he stops on the way for a fish.

I would use this story for three to five year olds because I believe that there is a very
important underlining message telling children not to be greedy and to always help
out others. I also chose this book because of the rhythm it has as you are reading it,
I feel it gives children a more enjoyable way of listening to what is being read. The
pictures throughout the book are very colorful and eye catching which is what drew
me in originally. Nick Bland used acrylic paint to create the illustrations. In my point
of view they evoke curiosity and wonder, as well as hopefulness. 

As a provocation for this book I thought of bringing in a fishing rod and setting it
somewhere in the class where the children will notice it. The children may wonder
why it’s there or what it is for. A few hours later I will add a fish to the end of the
hook, and then after lunch I will take the fish off and add a Polar Bear! As I begin reading I will stop and wonder with the children what Bear could have caught.
Hopefully they would have connections with the polar bear on the end of the fishing
rod that I placed prior to reading the story.

Presenting the book:

1. Clothes line story on a hula-hoop 
Because my story is a ‘circle story’ (begins and ends at the same place) I will
cut out each character on paper and them laminate them (Bear fishing, Polar
Bear, fish, a cave, a mole, crocodile eating fish, a tree nest, a snowy hill, a
igloo). I will attach the characters as I tell the story. Instead of using a string I
will use a hula-hoop so that the story can end the same place it started.

2. Recording
To present my story in an interesting, fun way I will record myself and use
other people for different voices for the characters. I will also try and find a
website where I can find different sound effects that fit into the story. After I
would download this recording on a memory stick or burn it on a blank CD
and present it to the class.

3. Felt Story
Presenting this story as a felt story I will need to print out the most important
characters and objects, which in my point of view would be the bear, polar
bear, fishing rod, fish, crocodile, tree nest (to show one example of a place he
tried staying in, which I think children would get the most humor out of), the
snowy hill, an igloo, and bear fishing again. Because my book is new there
are no felt stories made for sale. I will cut out the characters and objects and
nicely paste them onto pieces of felt so that they will stick to the felt board I
made. I will keep a little ‘cheat sheet’ behind my board so I don’t forget the
words to the story. 
 
4. Puppet 
The way of presenting my book with my puppet will probably be the most
difficult. I will try giving the puppet a different voice and get him to engage in
conversation with the children and myself. I will then try using him as a
different voice for one of the characters as I read the story (possibly the polar
bear).

Wonders & Chunking:

I would stop and wonder with the children what they think bear had
caught at the beginning of the book, I would cover the title page with a
piece of paper so it doesn’t give away any obvious hints! I think that
this would be a very good place to stop and wonder because so many
different possibilities could arise. This would also be a good place to
stop and wonder to see if the children had noticed the provocation I
had put out earlier.  
I would also stop and wonder with the children at the end of the book,
saying something such as “I wonder why the bear stopped on the way
back home for the fish” “Do you have any wonders?” This would be
interesting to see if the children know it’s because the bear didn’t get
to eat and gave away his last fish to his new friend.  
For my particular book, I don’t feel like it would be a good book to
chunk. Because the book rhymes I feel like they would get more from
the book if I where to read it straight through. If I stopped to come back
to it later I feel like they may forget the rhythm and flow the book
intentionally gives. I also do not feel like there are any major parts I
could end to add more suspense.   

Extensions: 

1. I would ask the children to draw different habitats they think the polar bear would
have lived if they where to have written the ending of the book; it would give them a
chance to have their own ending to the storybook. I would get them to decorate their
drawings anyway they would like to make the picture come alive. Then, I would get
them to each explain and share in circle time what they drew and why they think that
is where the polar bear should live. 
 
2. I could introduce the other books Nick Bland has written about this bear, The Very
Itchy Bear, and The Very Cranky Bear. It could give the children a sense of relation
and familiarity as I read. This could also spark children’s wonders about the bear
once they start seeing him in different scenarios and situations. 

3. I would start teaching children songs about sharing and helping out others so that
they are familiar that it very important. I would probably use “The Sharing Song” as
one of the first songs to introduce. 


Here is a link to the song I was thinking about using:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ-Fc361t8k

If this link doesn’t work, go to www.youtube.com and search in The Sharing Song
Lyrics. It is the video with the two mice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment