Sunday, April 1, 2012

Grumpy Bird


Grumpy Bird
Jeremy Tankard
ISBN-13: 978-0-439-85147-3

This book is about a bird that feels grumpy in the morning.  He does not want to eat, to play, or to fly.  He decides to walk.  On his way he sees different animals that accompany him on his walking.  Then he decides to do some exercises and his friends do, too.  It causes his mood to change and he becomes happy and goes back to his nest with his friends to have some snacks.

I think this colourful book is a good story for children 3-5 years old, because this story encourages children to pay attention to their friends and, if one of them is not in a good mood, to try to help them to change their mood.  Also, they can learn about different animals to help them to build their vocabulary.

The illustrations are blended with the white and black photos of nature that are blurry in the background and very simple drawings of scenes and characters in ink and digital media.

I would get children attention by hanging a grumpy face and a happy face on the wall.  Children can compare these two photos and talk about these two emotions.    Then I would ask them “how do you feel today, grumpy or happy? If you or your friend feels grumpy what can we do to change their mood?”  Then I would sing a song about feelings with the children to bring them together.

Encouragement song:
“Ram sam sam
A ram sam sam, a ram sam sam
Guli guli guli guli guli ram sam sam
A ram sam sam, a ram sam sam
Guli guli guli guli guli ram sam sam
A rafi, a rafi
Guli guli guli guli guli ram sam sam
A rafi, a rafi
Guli guli guli guli guli ram sam sam

 “The more we get together”
The more we get together
Together, together
The more we get together
The happier we'll be
Cause your friends are my friends
And my friends are your friends
The more we get together
The happier we'll be

The more we play together
Together, together
The more we play together
The happier we'll be
Cause your friends are my friends
And my friends are your friends
The more we play together
The happier we'll be

The more we dance together
Together, together
The more we dance together
The happier we'll be
Cause your friends are my friends
And my friends are your friends
The more we dance together
The happier we'll be

The more we get together
Together, together
The more we get together
The happier we'll be
Cause your friends are my friends
And my friends are your friends
The more we get together
The happier we'll be
The more we get together
The happier we'll be
The more we get together
The hap-pi-er we'll be

 Ways to present the story:
1-Felt board: A black felt board and felt characters.
I would use the board and tell the story and the characters will show up one by one during the story.

2-Basket: I would need a basket to put all my stuff into.  My things are little toy animals, a green scarf for the ground and a tree.
I would put the green scarf on the ground and put the little toy bird on the top of the tree and start the story.  Each animal comes out one by one from the basket.  Children are interested in which animal comes out next, or they can anticipate which animal is coming next, if I’ve already told the story.

3- cloths line: I would make each character from fabric or coloured paper and I need a string to hang Bird on the line and start the story.  I will hang each character with the clothes pins on the line during my telling of the story.

4-Another way that I am thinking about it is to make two sets of each character out of cardboard.  And I also need a large pocket that is decorated with a photo of nature with a tree and a nest in it. I will take a twig, or a stick, and glue each animal on it in the order of the story.   Then I put the animals glued on the twig or stick into the pocket. I will keep the second set beside me. When I am telling the story I will use the individual characters to greet and talk with Bird and then when they decide to follow him I will pull out the twig gradually.  At the end of the story when they fly to Bird’s nest I will use the separated animals again and stick on the pocket.

5- Finger puppets: I would make tiny puppet animals from fabric or paper for each finger then they go on my fingers one by one during the story.

6- Drawing the story: This is the easiest way to present the story.  Since the drawing of the characters is very simple, I could draw characters when they appear in the story.  I need just a large paper, which put on a stand and different colour of pencils crayon.

 Extensions:

Art:
-Asking children to draw how they feel.

-Making different parts of face in various emotions and ask them to make their own face on paper plates or cut out circle paper.

Social:
-Talking about emotions; sad, happy, mad, surprised, frustrated and proud during circle time and asking children to make these faces.

-Reading other books about emotions: “The way I feel” by Jana Cane or “How do you feel?” by Anthony Browne

-Role-playing: Each child takes a puppet of each animal or a mask or a felt character or a toy if they are available, and role-plays the whole story.

-Making a class book about different feelings and talking about what causes these different feelings.

-Singing songs about emotions:

“Happy face…”
Happy face, happy face, what do you see?
I see a sad face looking at me.
Sad face, sad face, what do you see?
I see an angry face looking at me.
Angry face, angry face, what do you see?
I see a grumpy face looking at me.
Grumpy face, grumpy face, what do you see?
I see a sleepy face looking at me.
Sleepy face, sleepy face, what do you see?
I see a surprised face looking at me.
Surprised face, surprised face, what do you see?
I see all my friends looking at me!
       
“If you are happy and you know”
If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.

If you’re happy and you know it, your face will surely show it.

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.

If you’re angry and you know it, stomp your feet.

If you’re angry and you know it, stomp your feet.

If you’re angry and you know it, your face will surely show it.

If you’re angry and you know it, stomp your feet.

If you're excited and you know it 
Shout hurray.  Hurray.

If you're excited and you know it 
Shout hurray. Hurray.

If you're excited and you know it 
and you really want to show it 

If you're excited and you know it
Shout hurray. Hurray.


Wonder:
I would show the first page and ask children how Bird feels? After, I would elicit the response I can make my first ‘wonder’; “ I am wondering why he is grumpy?”
Another wonder can be made on page 19 where Bird stopped, “I am wondering why he stopped?”  Every child can have different responses.
The next one can be on page 21.  I could ask:” I am wondering why they stood on one leg and jumped?”
Definitely different responses come out.
So I would ask the children: “If you stand on one leg and jump, what are you doing”?
Their answers can vary. Maybe one child replies ‘do exercises’ and I will continue my question, “So if you do some exercises, how do you feel?”  They might answer “fun”. Then I continue my reading to finish it.

I would leave the felt board for them to tell their own stories or they can pretend to be grumpy and role-play the story with their friends.

Grumpy Bird on PhotoPeach

No comments:

Post a Comment