Sunday, April 1, 2012

I am so strong


Ramos, M. (2011). I am so strong. Gecko Press Ltd., U.S.A.
ISBN#: 978-0-9582787-7-5, Hardback
BOOK CONTENT
The cheeky story is about the “Big Bad Wolf” who, on a completely full stomach, walks through the forest and asks many characters “who is the strongest?” The wolf meets familiar characters like, a bunny, little red riding hood, the three little pigs and the seven dwarfs. They are all smaller than him so he asks to all, “who is the strongest?” All the characters respond by saying “of course you are”. The wolf continues his adventure through the forest feeling quite confident and proud that he is the “fiercest and the cruelest” in the forest. The book ends in a witty way, he comes across a tiny dragon and he asks “who is the strongest”, the little dragon responds, “my mother”. Once the wolf sees how big the dragons’ mother is he immediately changes his attitude and says “yes of course, your mother is the strongest”. The look on the wolf’s face says it all. This book is playful, funny and full of surprises and at the same time it is a great lesson that just because you think you perceive yourself one way, there are always others that have different ideas, “everything is relative, it depends on who you compare yourself to” (Ramos, R., www.marioramos.be). The content of this book does include words such as prudently, pathetic, gizzard, gumboil and gargoyle, the children might not know these words. I believe that they are a great way of creating conversation, since they are put in a completely sassy way, and are rectified immediately on the following page; this makes a great starting block for questions. We as educators could start the conversation asking the children: Simply, does anyone have any questions? Why do we use different words when we are angry? How does it make you feel if someone yells at you that way? Should we apologize for these words? I am sure this conversation will be one with passion and the children will be completely enthralled.
WHY WOULD I READ THIS BOOK TO 3-5 YEAR OLD CHILDREN?
I would read this book to 3 to 5 year old children because it is a modern twist on many classic fairytales. It takes the original fairytale and becomes something completely different. Will this difference between the classic story and a new way of seeing the wolf make the children wonder? Will it start many discussions? Children love playful, cheeky and familiar storylines, so will this book open up doors to understand that everything is not always the same and you can change stories and be creative in your own way? Between the classic and modern stories creates questions, curiosity and speculation. This book also introduces words that the children may not have heard before. However, if the story is told with enthusiasm the children may figure out the definitions to these new words on their own. It is unbelievable what a child can learn from just the context of the word, it will amaze you what they will understand. What a great time for a discussion for those who understand and those who don’t.
ILLUSTRATIONS
The illustrations in this book are so expressive. Mario Ramos is the author and the illustrator for this book (the children will be amazed by this), he said that children’s drawings are what inspire him to write and illustrate his books. The simple black and white lines of the wolf makes a big impact that the wolf is the definitely the main character of this book and he means business. Will the children recognize this and will it create different feelings? Will it provoke them to draw or paint the scenes or characters in the book? I believe that the medium used is paint, possibly acrylic. I also see water colours being used and maybe some chalk pastels. I love the contrast between the black and white medium and the use of colours, it creates more emotions. If you look very closely at the illustration on the front, you will notice that the baby dragons mother is actually there, take a closer look.
PROVOCATIONS
1) I would read the classic fairy-tales, “Little Red Riding Hood”, “The Three Little Pigs” and “The Seven Dwarfs” at circle-time and have the books in the classroom for the children to read and for the educators to read to small groups or one-on-one. This will let the children become familiar with these classic fairytales and help those children who do not have any background with these stories.
2) A couple days later after the classic fairy tale books were out, keep them in the classroom but add a picture of the wolf (probably a poster-board size) and behind the wolf put the humungous feet of the mother dragon in green, also on paperboard. Should we place it in an area where art supplies are available and see if they make any creations of their own? Move the pictures around the room and see what happens. Will this create questions and discussion?
3) A couple days later leave the original provocations out and then add other characters to the classroom. I would also like to sing some songs at circle-time that pertain to the classic fairy tales; I know a good one for the “Three Little Pigs”:
“Big Bad Wolf”
Tune “This Old Man”


Three little Pigs
Walking down the street
A big bad wolf they did meet
So they ran home fast
and shut the door tight.
No big wolf will get them tonight.

A little girl
Wearing red
Spied a big bad wolf
Who said
"What’s in you basket"
"May I have a bite"
"NO," yelled the little girl
Who ran in fright.



4) I wonder if there will be extra discussion throughout the classroom and at circle-time. Maybe I could have some of the characters on the wall by the circle and when we come together as a class hopefully this will provoke discussion and we can continue to make them wonder.


PRESENTING THE BOOK
1) Firstly, I would read the book and then later play an audio CD. I love to read because with the right enthusiasm the children become mesmerized. I would possibly “chunk” the book about 3 pages before the end and let the children wonder. Even though it is not a long book, I think it would be effective as the wonders are endless. Let’s see what happens until we read the rest of the book the next day. I think the children would enjoy the audio CD as it is a great different perspective.
2) Story Stones is a new and exciting idea, I love it. I would put my story on index cards so I have it by my side. I would then get some smooth stones and print out the characters on inkjet label sheets. Smooth out the labels on the stone (1 per character, maybe even some trees) and then just give them a coat or 2 of varnish and “voila”. Place finished stones on a tray and have some trees made out of sticks and paper and standing with a bit of play dough or clay. Then tell your story with the wolf meeting all the separate characters.
3) Light Table is a very effective way of telling a story. My decision for this is because I have a mini light table my daughter got for Christmas so with a little TLC we have a mini light board great for circle-time. So I will get tissue paper and cut out and trace the characters and make a small forest scene. I will then laminate all the items and we are ready to go. I will use press stick for the circle-time presentation to make sure it is secure. After we can put the characters on the light table for the children to create the story again from their own perspectives. If there is a larger light table to use that would be great.
4) Magnetic Tin was actually my first inspiration. I love how we can tell a story from all sides. I would get a large cookie tin or bucket and then make my magnet characters with magnetic inkjet sheets (available at Staples). I will get my images from the internet and edit them so they are proper size for the tin. I will then make some trees and paint a background with acrylic paint. I can cover it with mack tack to protect it. I will use the same index card with the story on it and then we are ready to tell our story.

EXTENSTIONS
1) I will let the children play with all of the items that I have made for this story. They will love to re-enact the story or create their own with all the different materials. Will this provoke the children to make up their own stories and create social interactions?
2) I will bring in some stones and put out some acrylic paints and let the children paint the stones. It doesn’t have to be the characters unless they want to but they can just paint the rocks. This creates connections.
3) Of course discussions will be big for this story. There will be a lot of questions about definitions, feelings, bullying, emotions and maybe even some language questions (boy do I have my hands full☺). I will be prepared to answer questions pertaining to these subjects. When we finish our discussions I will write down the questions and concerns of the children and find another book or story that will answer or at least help with their questions.
4) As the author “Mario Ramos” is inspired by the children, I will put out sketches from other children that drew his work along with his own and see what the students draw.
5) My audio CD will be left for the children to play if they so desire. Possibly, if we have a head-set available we will use that, otherwise we will just use a CD player. I would also like to sing the “Three Little Pigs” song (above) randomly throughout the week.
I am so strong on PhotoPeach

No comments:

Post a Comment