Thursday, October 14, 2010

Critical Issues Books (2)

I Feel Jealous
Momes, b. (1993). I feel jealous. Great Britain: Wayland. Ltd.


ISBN: 978-0-7502-1405-6

This story describes about a girl who feels jealous of many things in her daily life. She is jealous of any kinds of things, such as her baby sister, a next door boy who has a new bike and her brother who wins games all the time. When she is jealous of somebody, she feels like an angry monster, and stays at her room without speaking to others.

However, the girl finds that when she gets jealous of others, those can help her recalling things which are good to her. At the same time, the girl finds that when others are jealous her, when she can do something but others cannot do them. So the girl is not jealous others any more.

I think this is a great book for children who are 3-5 years old to understand the emotion of jealousness since they start to learn emotions during this period. The author uses first person “I” to describe what “my” jealous feeling is, whenever “I” encounter different situations in the book. Therefore, children can learn what the meaning of jealousness and it reminds them of their experience. The pictures are simple and clear to make children understand the meaning. The stories are familiar in children’s life; therefore children probably interested in it. This book is not big or heavy, so they can easy hold and read it by them whenever they want.

I can ask children some questions about jealousness before I start reading this story. Also, after reading this story, I will ask them how they will do in the future.

Presentation ways:

1)Felt board: I can use felt board and cut other objects also made of felt.

2) Storytelling: I can use vivid voice for presenting the book and stop at the place where I need to ask children questions. We will give them time to think about when and why they feel jealous.

3) Stick Puppets: I can use papers and sticks to make some stick puppet of “I” that are both boys or girls, with different facing expressions and postures, when I am talking different situations of jealousness, I will change different stick puppets.

Extension:


- Asking them if they had felt jealous in any other situation (not from this book), and also ask them what they think they should do


No comments:

Post a Comment