Thursday, October 14, 2010

Predictable Pattern


McNaughton, C.(2009). NOT LAST NIGHT BUT THE NIGHT BEFORE
Somerville, MA:Candlewick Press
ISBN: 978-0-7636-4420-8

Content of the story:
This book is about one boy who has unexpected guests over and over at one night. Three black cats are coming to see him. The moon, three little pigs, little Bo-peep, Miss Muffet, Jack and Jill, three blind mice, Goldilocks, Mr.Punch are knocking at the door. What is happening tonight? The boy is not sure what is going on, and heard the sound of glass tapping. Surprised! Everyone is here to celebrate this boy’s birthday. What a fantastic night for him!

Reason for three to five year olds:
This story starts with very mysterious mood. Why is this boy having all guests on his bed time? This is a good story because it makes children think and wonder what is going on. If we read more pages, we can see guests bringing presents with colourfull outfits. It is a happy story at the end.   

Illustration:
This is the story about night time, but it is very colourful. The boy’s facial expressions are well explained by the illustrator. I can see his fear, surprise and happiness from each page. This is a beautiful book with rich colour.
  
Provocation:
Pajama Day- I have children come to school with their pajamas. I make a big poster of the picture from very first page of the book, put on somewhere in the classroom. In the picture, the boy is sitting on the stairs with very curious face. Is something wrong with him? What is bugging him?   

Presentation:
1.Read the book
I start reading a book in a very slow pace. Every time new guest comes, I pause for a few seconds to invite children’s wonder. I speed up a little bit as we flip over the page. I stop where a glass was tapped and ask children. I say, “I wonder what is going to happen next”.

2.Felt Story
I choose black as a background colour for the felt and put one big door and one bed on felt foam. Hopefully, children know it is night time. There are many quests on this story, so I do not make each one of them individually. I make one picture of each scene if they visit the boy at the same time. 

3.Flip Card
I read this story with flip cards. It has the same pattern every time the guest comes. First, they knock the door and then something happens. This is the reason why I chose to use Flip Card. In this way, I can have more attentions from children because they will be curious about what is happening when I flip card over. 

Extensions:
1. Sharing Birthday story
Have you had any surprised party? How did you feel? Tell me about the most memorable birthday.
I ask parents to bring one picture from the child’s birthday, so each child has his or her own picture. I gather all pictures and present them in front of the class. Everyone will have the chance to talk about their birthday party.
2.Colouring
I have all pictures of guests from this book, but there is no colour. Children might remember that each guest wears splendid clothes. I put all pictures on the table. Children can choose any picture they are interested in and colour it whatever they want.

3.Let children play with flip cards
I leave flip cards from the story on the table. Flip cards are laminated, so it will last long even though children play with them. When children see each picture from the book, they will create their own stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment