Thursday, October 14, 2010

Predictable Pattern


Paxton, T.(1996). Going to the Zoo.
New York, NY: Morrow Junior Books
ISBN: 13: 978-0-688-13800-4

Content of the story:
This book shows a family’s big excitement about going to the zoo in an excellent way. Two daughters and one son had so much fun at the zoo with their dad and guess what? They are excited AGAIN because their mother will take them to the zoo tomorrow again!  Children are dancing on the floor while dad is sleeping on the couch.

Reason for three to five year olds:
I personally think that zoo is a perfect place where children can explore their imagination and learn about nature. This book will invite three to five year olds’ wonder and excitement. I assume that many of them already have gone to zoo, so they can relate their experience into this story. If there are children who have no experience with zoo, they can still enjoy this story.

Illustration:
This illustration is done by water color. Using pastel colour creates comfortable and friendly atmosphere. The illustrator uses pink and green colour quite a lot and my eyes never get tired of looking at pictures. Animals are depicted as friendly creatures and facial expressions of people including the family look very real and cute. I especially like the picture of very first page because it represents the family’s excitement for their coming trip very well. Each picture is put on double page spread, so it is large enough to share with a large group of children, as well as a small group.

Provocations:
Thankfully, Music is included with this book. First, I will play this song several times. When children get familiar with the melody, I will have them sing together. There is rhythmic verses: “We are going to the zoo,zoo,zoo. How about you,you,you? You can come too,too,too. We’re going to the zoo,zoo,zoo.” We can change lyrics at certain parts. For example, We are going to the zoo,zoo,zoo. How about Shanna,Shanna,Shanna? Shanna can come too,too,too. We are going to the PNE,PNE,PNE. How about Yuko,Yuko,Yuko? Yuko can come too,too,too. We can play a game out of this song by changing words.  
Presentation:
1.Read the book simply
First, I hold the book, showing children only the cover. I will have them share their thoughts about the first picture. I would say, “I wonder why these animals look so happy” or “I wonder what this story is about.” I stop where all animals wave hands to the family. I say, “ I wonder how children feel about going home” or “Do you think the dad feels tired by this time?”    

2.Scroll Book
It is a day trip to the zoo, so I think it would be fun to put this story into TV screen presentation in orders that the family visit each animal cage. I present this book with Scroll. I want to make my own tube, looking for the size shorter than wrapping paper, using my pencil case that is made of hard board.   
(Referred to “A Smorgasborg of Book Design Ideas Donna Duncan-Reilly”)

3.Felt Story
Read this story with felt board. Each time, new animal comes, I would ask children some questions such as “Do you know what money eats?” I choose Green as a background colour for Felt story because this book is about nature. I make animals with bigger sizes on my own, so children can see an actual feeling of each animal. You can get related materials from the website that has been included below.

Extensions:
1.“Let’s talk about your favorite place to go with your family.”
After reading the story, I say, “I wonder where your favorite place is” Children share their story and draw their favorite moment.

2.Let children play with Scroll freely
I put Scroll on the table. Children will eventually figure out how to manipulate and they can create their own story.

3.Nature Study
If it is possible, I would go field trip with children. If not, we can still learn about animals in class. I prepare pictures of each animal we saw on the book. I present each picture, ask them, “Where do you think monkey lives? “ “What do you know about monkeys?” “   

No comments:

Post a Comment