Friday, October 15, 2010

cumulative and circular books 2

An Island Grows


Schaefer, Lola M. (2006) An Island Grows. New York, NY: Greenwillow Books

ISBN: 9-780066-239316

This story describes how an island is formed in a fun and simple way. Magma erupts from within a volcano located deep in the ocean. Once the lava flows from the volcano it makes several layers to build a big hard surface that protrudes from the water. Erosion from natural elements breaks down this hard surface into rocks and sand. Now instead of just water there is an island in the ocean. Life then makes its appearance on this island, first the form of small plants then insects and animals follow. Sailors spot and map the island and then it is then inhabited by human beings; they move to this place and live on this island happily. The colourful, bold collages of illustration are a perfect complement to the text. Like the narration, the seemingly elementary art is carefully composed, tells a complete story, and exudes energy.

I would choose this book for the 3- 5 age group because the language and vocabulary used in the story is very basic and children can easily understand the concept of island formation. The short rhyming pattern of the story makes the story flow with ease, presenting an almost “sing-song” pattern.
Provocation:

In the center of the class I would place blue paper on the floor on which I would place red cloth on it to represent lava, then I would have another rock to represent an empty island then finally a big rock with stickers of plants, animals and people. Through this I would hope to show the stages of the birth of an island. I would then let the children investigate what it is and ask questions about it.

Presenting the book:

  •  Present a story as a felt board story. I would make water, lava, rocks, island, plants, animals and people by felt and then tell a story on the felt board. You can also buy felt pieces for any story at 3H Craftworks, Vancouver.
  • I would read aloud the book to the children and show them pictures in the book as they are big and colourful.  
  • Presenting the story by magnets. I would stick blue sheet on the metal tray to make it look like an ocean and then make magnets of volcano, lava, island, plants, animals and people. Then I would tell the story by moving magnets on the metal try.

I would stop on page 7 and ask “I wonder what happens when lava flows”  
I would stop on page 17 and ask “I wonder what happens when sailor spot the island”

Extensions:

  •  I would have a science activity with the children by making a volcano and using the safely precautions for the experiment. Details can be found in the given link. http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/volcano.php
  • I can show them the globe and show them that all the continents are big islands. This way I will be exposing them to what the world looks like and also give them the concept of continents.
  •  Children can play with water and rocks and make their own island. It can be an interesting outdoor activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment